Wednesday, January 4, 2012

spices, tequila, and the mexican food tour


I fancy myself a foodie when it comes to trying different things. I love going to new restaurants and I am obsessed with dissecting a menu. This sentiment was tested as I walked through the open-air market of Cozumel, Mexico. The American in me was used to meat on ice, recognizable spices, and a general sense of cleanliness around food. This culinary tour was about to rock my world. From suckling pig tacos to something that our guide promised was the equivalent to a hot dog at ballgames, we were out of our element. At the end of the day; however, we were struggling to decide which hole-in-the-wall was our favorite. I cannot decide whether my favorite was chosen because of the taste or because each visitor had the honor of actually walking into the kitchen, opening a cooler, and picking out their own fish. The grouper was then gutted, lathered with salt and pepper, and submerged in a giant vat of oil. The above picture does not do the dish justice. Below is a similar recipe that I hope to try in the near future. Enjoy!

ingredients:

Whole Fish (They used grouper, snapper)
Salt
Pepper
Cooking Oil

recipe:

1) Gut the fish
2) Cut slices in the meat of the fish on either side (Do not reach the bone)
3) Rub with salt and pepper
4) Submerge in oil (They used what looked like a giant turkey fryer)
5) Cook until fish is brown and crispy (Approximately 5-10 minutes)

more pictures from our tour:




No comments:

Post a Comment