Tuesday, January 10, 2012

the big easy and a national championship



21-0 is a solid victory. Before the game, an ESPN columnist claimed, “even Trent Richardson’s dreadlocks looked angry.” At approximately 11:00 last night, Richardson’s dreadlocks got revenge. Between the lopsided victory and the more than occasional “Roll Tide” echoing down Bourbon Street, it is crazy that someone would leave New Orleans thinking about anything other than the game. But it is The Big Easy. And I like food. Oysters, grits, beignets, more beignets, coffee, crepes… The increased size of my waist can attest to how much longer I could go with this list. The above picture came from Brennan's. And the answer is yes. I finished the whole thing. By myself. Shockingly, this is not their most famous dessert. They are world renowned for their artful preparation of the New Orleans favorite, Bananas Foster. While the desserts were amazingly simple, the entrees were complex. New Orleans is a melting pot of Creole, Cajun, and Southern cooking, among others. The following recipe is actually very simple and I wish I could claim it as my own. This actually comes from a store window along Royal Street. I cannot wait to try it! 

ingredients

5-6 pounds lean brisket
garlic powder to taste
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup water
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
1 cup ketchup

recipe

1) pre-heat oven to 325 degrees
2) season brisket with garlic powder
3) mix brown sugar, water, onion soup mix, and ketchup
4) pour over brisket in large roasting pan
5) cook covered for 4 1/2 to 5 hours or until meat is tender

Here are more pictures from our trip!





No comments:

Post a Comment